Texas CHL Application Checklist
It is not the responsibility of Texas CHL or it's Instructors to ensure complete application requirements of students or persons seeking to obtain a Concealed Handgun License. Review the application requirements closely before completing your application as your fees are NOT refundable.
Attention Out of State Applicants
Please be aware that all concealed handgun license courses must be taught in Texas.
Please direct any questions about application exceptions or special conditions to the DPS: www.txdps.state.tx.us
A completed application consists of the following:
- Certificate of Training (CHL-100) Issued by Our Instructor (not required for active or retired peace officers or retired federal officers)
- Application Form - either white (if completed online and sent to you in the mail) or yellow if you received it from an instructor.
- 2 Passport Photos - signed by both the applicant and the person who took the fingerprints of the applicant (SIGNATURES NO LONGER REQUIRED BY DPS / JULY-2010)
- Passport Photo Holder - Completed and SIGNED
- Fingerprint Cards - 2 (may be transmitted electronically if done at an approved L1 facility)
- Affidavit of Eligiblity (may be completed with online application / paper affidavits must still be notarized)
- Affidavit of Knowledge of Laws (may be completed with online application / paper affidavits must still be notarized)
- Affidavit for Release of Records (may be completed with online application / paper affidavits must still be notarized)
- Cashier's Check, Money Order, Personal Check or online payment by credit card for the Appropriate Fee Amount
- Any documentation supporting request of special conditions (ie. military proof of small arms proficiency, documentation showing proof of military active duty or honorable discharge if under 21 years of age)
- Previous year's tax return (if applying as Indigent)
- Sworn Statement by Head of Department (if applying under Peace Officer exception)
- Retirement Credentials and letter of Good Standing (if applying under Federal Officer exception)
- Out of State Contacts for Background investigation (if applying under Non-Resident status)
A few tips to help streamline the application process and save time:
- Take your Photographs to the individual taking your prints - Your photos MUST NO LONGER BE SIGNED by the applicant or individual taking your fingerprints.
READ DPS NOTICE
- Complete your application online - This saves time by no longer requiring notarization of affidavits. You will also have to schedule your fingerprint appointment online, as well and will need your PIN# from the online application to complete this process.