Texas CHL A Brief History of US School Shootings
The following list covers school shootings from 1996 to the present. There have now been 76 school shootings ON CAMPUSES in the US.
This averages just over 5 per year or 1 every 2 1/2 months.
2011 has had one almost EVERY THREE WEEKS!
Included is the date, location, and a short description of each incident.
What do these places and events all have in common?
1. Guns are specifically not allowed in the premises by official policy or by law. Quite clearly, these laws did not dissuade the killers. Think about it. The only people obeying the law and the signs were the good people…the victims.
2. Those inside were unarmed and totally helpless. The terrorist would call these gun-free places “soft targets.” Notice how none of these terrorists ever pick a gun store, a police station, or even a shooting course?
3. The police were called to each one of these events. But unless the police happen to be exactly there when the shots are fired, and have the mental perspective and courage to run to the sound of the guns for the sole purpose of locating and killing the gunman outright, the delay in response will be several minutes in the best case scenario.
4. The events were eventually resolved by the police presence, but not without deaths. Repeatedly, we see that in the majority of these events, the killing is done fairly quickly in the beginning moments of the event BEFORE police presence.
- Feb. 2, 1996 / Moses Lake, Wash.
Two students and one teacher killed, one other wounded when 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis opened fire on his algebra class.
- Feb. 19, 1997 / Bethel, Alaska
Principal and one student killed, two others wounded by Evan Ramsey, 16.
- Oct. 1, 1997 / Pearl, Miss.
Two students killed and seven wounded by Luke Woodham, 16, who was also accused of killing his mother. He and his friends were said to be outcasts who worshiped Satan. One armed principal stopped the attack.
- Dec. 1, 1997 / West Paducah, Ky.
Three students killed, five wounded by Michael Carneal, 14, as they participated in a prayer circle at Heath High School.
- Dec. 15, 1997 / Stamps, Ark.
Two students wounded. Colt Todd, 14, was hiding in the woods when he shot the students as they stood in the parking lot.
- March 24, 1998 / Jonesboro, Ark.
Four students and one teacher killed, ten others wounded outside as Westside Middle School emptied during a false fire alarm. Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, shot at their classmates and teachers from the woods.
- April 24, 1998 / Edinboro, Pa.
One teacher, John Gillette, killed, two students wounded at a dance at James W. Parker Middle School. Andrew Wurst, 14, was charged.
- May 19, 1998 / Fayetteville, Tenn.
One student killed in the parking lot at Lincoln County High School three days before he was to graduate. The victim was dating the ex-girlfriend of his killer, 18-year-old honor student Jacob Davis.
- May 21, 1998 / Springfield, Ore.
Two students killed, 22 others wounded in the cafeteria at Thurston High School by 15-year-old Kip Kinkel. Kinkel had been arrested and released a day earlier for bringing a gun to school. His parents were later found dead at home.
- June 15, 1998 / Richmond, Va.
One teacher and one guidance counselor wounded by a 14-year-old boy in the school hallway.
- April 20, 1999 / Littleton, Colo.
14 students (including killers) and one teacher killed, 23 others wounded at Columbine High School in the nation's deadliest school shooting. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, had plotted for a year to kill at least 500 and blow up their school. At the end of their hour-long rampage, they turned their guns on themselves.
- May 20, 1999 / Conyers, Ga.
Six students injured at Heritage High School by Thomas Solomon, 15, who was reportedly depressed after breaking up with his girlfriend.
- Nov. 19, 1999 / Deming, N.M.
Victor Cordova Jr., 12, shot and killed Araceli Tena, 13, in the lobby of Deming Middle School.
- Dec. 6, 1999 / Fort Gibson, Okla.
Four students wounded as Seth Trickey, 13, opened fire with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun at Fort Gibson Middle School.
- Feb. 29, 2000 / Mount Morris Township, Mich.
Six-year-old Kayla Rolland shot dead at Buell Elementary School near Flint, Mich. The assailant was identified as a six-year-old boy with a .32-caliber handgun.
- March 10, 2000 / Savannah, Ga.
Two students killed by Darrell Ingram, 19, while leaving a dance sponsored by Beach High School.
- May 26, 2000 / Lake Worth, Fla.
One teacher, Barry Grunow, shot and killed at Lake Worth Middle School by Nate Brazill, 13, with .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol on the last day of classes.
- Sept. 26, 2000 / New Orleans, La.
Two students wounded with the same gun during a fight at Woodson Middle School.
- Jan. 17, 2001 / Baltimore, Md.
One student shot and killed in front of Lake Clifton Eastern High School.
- March 5, 2001 / Santee, Calif.
Two killed and 13 wounded by Charles Andrew Williams, 15, firing from a bathroom at Santana High School.
- March 7, 2001 / Williamsport, Pa.
Elizabeth Catherine Bush, 14, wounded student Kimberly Marchese in the cafeteria of Bishop Neumann High School; she was depressed and frequently teased.
- March 22, 2001 / Granite Hills, Calif.
One teacher and three students wounded by Jason Hoffman, 18, at Granite Hills High School. A policeman shot and wounded Hoffman.
- March 30, 2001 / Gary, Ind.
One student killed by Donald R. Burt, Jr., a 17-year-old student who had been expelled from Lew Wallace High School.
- Nov. 12, 2001 / Caro, Mich.
Chris Buschbacher, 17, took two hostages at the Caro Learning Center before killing himself.
- Jan. 15, 2002 / New York, N.Y.
A teenager wounded two students at Martin Luther King Jr. High School.
- Jan. 16, 2002 / Grundy, VA
Peter Odighizuwa, a student of Appalachian School of Law, kills the dean, 1 professor, 1 student and injures 3 others. Two armed students stopped the attack.
- April 14, 2003 / New Orleans, La.
One 15-year-old killed, and three students wounded at John McDonogh High School by gunfire from four teenagers (none were students at the school). The motive was gang-related.
- April 24, 2003 / Red Lion, Pa.
James Sheets, 14, killed principal Eugene Segro of Red Lion Area Junior High School before killing himself.
- Sept. 24, 2003 / Cold Spring, Minn.
Two students are killed at Rocori High School by John Jason McLaughlin, 15.
- March 21, 2005 / Red Lake, Minn.
Jeff Weise, 16, killed grandfather and companion, then arrived at school where he killed a teacher, a security guard, 5 students, and finally himself, leaving a total of 10 dead.
- Nov. 8, 2005 / Jacksboro, Tenn.
One 15-year-old shot and killed an assistant principal at Campbell County High School and seriously wounded two other administrators.
- Aug. 24, 2006 / Essex, Vt.
Christopher Williams, 27, looking for his ex-girlfriend at Essex Elementary School, shot two teachers, killing one and wounding another. Before going to the school, he had killed the ex-girlfriend's mother.
- Sept. 27, 2006 / Bailey, Colo.
Adult male held six students hostage at Platte Canyon High School and then shot and killed Emily Keyes, 16, and himself.
- Sept. 29, 2006 / Cazenovia, Wis.
A 15-year-old student shot and killed Weston School principal John Klang.
- Oct. 3, 2006 / Nickel Mines, Pa.
32-year-old Carl Charles Roberts IV entered the one-room West Nickel Mines Amish School and shot 10 schoolgirls, ranging in age from 6 to 13 years old, and then himself. Five of the girls and Roberts died.
- Jan. 3, 2007 / Tacoma, Wash.
Douglas Chanthabouly, 18, shot fellow student Samnang Kok, 17, in the hallway of Henry Foss High School.
- April 16, 2007 / Blacksburg, Va.
A 23-year-old Virginia Tech student, Cho Seung-Hui, killed two in a dorm, then killed 30 more 2 hours later in a classroom building. His suicide brought the death toll to 33, making the shooting rampage the most deadly in U.S. history. Fifteen others were wounded.
- Sept. 21, 2007 / Dover, Del.
A Delaware State Univesity Freshman, Loyer D. Brandon, shot and wounded two other Freshman students on the University campus. Brandon is being charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless engagement, as well as a gun charge.
- Oct. 10, 2007 / Cleveland, Ohio
A 14-year-old student at a Cleveland high school, Asa H. Coon, shot and injured two students and two teachers before he shot and killed himself. The victims' injuries were not life-threatening.
- Feb. 8, 2008 / Baton Rouge, Louisiana
A nursing student shot and killed two women and then herself in a classroom at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge.
- Feb. 11, 2008 / Memphis, Tennessee
A 17-year-old student at Mitchell High School shot and wounded a classmate in gym class.
- Feb. 12, 2008 / Oxnard, California
A 14-year-old boy shot a student at E.O. Green Junior High School causing the 15-year-old victim to be brain dead.
- Feb. 14, 2008 / DeKalb, Illinois
Gunman killed five students and then himself, and wounded 17 more when he opened fire on a classroom at Northern Illinois University. The gunman, Stephen P. Kazmierczak, was identified as a former graduate student at the university in 2007.
- Mar 09, 2008 / Mobile, Alabama
One student commits suicide in the gym in front of approximately 150 students.
- Mar 13, 2008 / Washington, DC
23 year old male shot on the front steps of an elementary school.
- Aug 21, 2008 / Knoxville, Tenn.
One student killed by a 15 year old classmate in the cafeteria.
- Oct 16, 2008 / Detroit, Mich.
Henry Ford High School - three students injured and one killed by one student and 2 non-students.
- Oct 27, 2008 / Conway, Ark.
University of Central Arkansas - two killed and one injured by four suspects.
- Nov. 12, 2008 / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
A 15-year-old female student was shot and killed by a classmate at Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale.
- Apr 10, 2009 / Dearborn, mich.
Henry Ford Community College - one killed and one suicide.
- May 1, 2009 / Middletown, Conn.
Wesleyan University Bookstore - one killed.
- May 5, 2009 / Canandaigua, NY
Canandaigua Academy - one student committed suicide.
- May 18, 2009 / Cambridge, MA
Harvard University - One student shot in the stomach.
- May 18, 2009 / Larose, LA
Larose-Cut Middle School - 15 year old shot at a teacher and then committed suicide.
- Sep 02, 2009 / San Bruno, CA
Skyline College - One student shot, three suspects arrested.
- Sep 03, 2009 / Atlanta, GA
Atlanta University Center - one female student shot.
- Sep 16, 2009 / Antioch, CA
Deer Valley High School - one student shot.
- Dec 08, 2009 / Woodbridge, VA
North Virginia Community College - student fired 2-3 shots, then stopped and waited for police.
- Feb 06, 2010 / Madison, AL
Discovery Middle School - student shoots 14 year old classmate in the back of the head.
- Feb 12, 2010 / Huntsville, AL
University of Alabama - three faculty killed, three wounded by a female colleague.
- Feb 23, 2010 / Jefferson County, CO
Deer Creek Middle School - two students injured by a rifleman.
- Feb 26, 2010 / Tacoma, WA
Birney Elementary - one teacher killed before school stemming from domestic violence.
- Mar 09, 2010 / Columbus, OH
Ohio State University - one manager killed and one suicide.
- Aug 17, 2010 / Belleville, IL
Belleville Township High School
- Sep 28, 2010 / Austin, TX
University of Texas - one student fires multiple shots then commits suicide.
- Oct 01, 2010 / Salinas, CA
Alisal High School - 15 year old student killed by gang.
- Oct 03, 2010 / Elizabeth City, NC
Mid-Atlantic Christian University - one student killed in his dorm.
- Oct 08, 2010 / Carlsbad, CA
Kelly Elementary School - two students shot, gunman arrested.
- Jan 05, 2011 / Omaha, NB
Two administrators shot, one suspect found dead from apparent suicide.
- Jan 18, 2011 / LA County, CA
two students shot, on e suspect arrested.
- Mar 25, 2010 / Martinsville, IN
Martinsville West Middle School - one student shot, one suspect arrested.
- Mar 30, 2011 / Houston, TX
Worthington High School - one student killed and five injured by a drive by on the football field after a fight.
- Apr 19, 2011 / Houston, TX
Ross Elementary School - three students injured after a kindergartener negligently discharges a gun in the cafeteria.
- May 10, 2011 / San Jose, CA
San Jose State University - three killed in a campus parking garage.
- May 23, 2011 / Pearl City, HI
Highlands Intermediate School - one student injured by 8th grade student.
Robert S. Flores Jr., 41, a student at the nursing school at the University of Arizona, shot and killed three female professors and then himself.
How can we prevent the next one? (and there will be a next one.)
1. Understand that your safety is your own responsibility. Carry a weapon… everywhere. Can’t have a gun under your circumstances? Then carry a knife and learn how to use it offensively. Even a ball-point pen in the right hands is a very effective weapon.
2. Make those who pass these useless “no gun” laws responsible for their decisions. The parents and family members of the victims should file law suits against the institutions that support such policies. Sue the school, sue the principal of the school, the board of education, the police chief, the mayor, the governor, everyone. I’m certain that there are plenty of pro-gun attorneys here. Put your skills to use. If these people do not understand morality and the Constitution, perhaps they will understand poverty.
3. Many of these kids were actually corralled by the school officials into rooms ready for the gunmen. A locked door will not dissuade anyone who really wants to get in. Teach kids about cover, and how to RUN!